14.8.18

Why SLS, Silicone and Paraben-Free Hair Products Are No Good

Organic Shop

We all have heard about how SLS, Silicones and Parabens are "bad" for us, which made me want to try products without those ingredients out of curiosity, but the truth is they each have a purpose in beauty products. Here is why I won't be avoiding SLS/SLES, Silicones and Parabens in my hair care products: 

1. SLS/SLES: Also known as Sodium Laurel/Laureth Sulphate, is a surfactant that helps to break down oils and dirt, therefore helping cleaning a surface or in this case, the scalp. There are milder alternatives to SLS and SLES, of course but they somehow seem to dry out my scalp further. And if you are a fan of foaming shampoos then you'll probably prefer one that contains SLS (or its milder version SLES). 

2. Silicones: They're substances that contribute to the fluidity of a formula, as well as leaving a smooth and/or shiny finish. Without silicones I've found that my hair doesn't feel as soft and it was very hard to get a brush through it. 

3. Parabens: A type of preservative used in very commonly in cosmetic products. There's a lot of controversy around parabens, however I don't have a problem using them in products that are going to be in contact with my skin for only a couple of minutes, then rinsed off. Plus hair products such as shampoo and conditioner, which stay in a warm and humid environment, need some sort of preservative, otherwise they go off faster.

Of course the use of SLS, Silicones and Parabens is down to personal choice, and I generally try to avoid them on skincare products as they are milder, less likely to clog pores and won't stay on my skin for the rest of the day.

I recently acquired the Organic Shop Argan & Amla Shampoo & Conditioner, only to realise that I had used this brand before, and while it seemed to work at first, after a short time the products started to go off. Deciding to give them the benefit of the doubt, I used the Argan & Amla range twice and my scalp was even drier (I've been trying to find out how to make it less dry) and my hair was almost straw like, so it's safe to say I won't be trying any more of their products as sadly they don't work for me. 

What's your opinion on these cosmetic ingredients? 

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment ♥
I love reading them all!
If you start following don't forget to leave
a link to your blog so I can follow back :)